Paul McCartney’s representatives issued a statement from Japan May 22 in response to the concern and internet rumors among fans about his illness. McCartney cancelled all his shows in Japan and a single show in South Korea on his Out There! tour last week after coming down with a virus.
“Since contracting a virus last week that led to the postponement of tour dates, Paul received successful medical treatment at a hospital in Tokyo,” the statement began. “He will make a complete recovery and has been ordered to take a few days rest. Paul has been extremely moved by all the messages and well wishes he has received from fans all over the world.” Reports circulated earlier today he’d been hospitalized. McCartney representatives also told Beatles Examiner that pictures purporting to show McCartney being taken out of an ambulance were fake.
The McCartney shows in Japan were canceled May 19. The first Tokyo show at National Stadium was initially moved two days later, then all of the shows in Japan were canceled. “Paul McCartney will regrettably have to cancel the remaining Japanese shows. Paul is still not feeling better and this cancellation is unavoidable. He was hoping to be better but the doctors have ordered him complete rest. Paul has been extremely moved by the messages from his fans and is upset to be letting them down. All possibilities to find a solution to reschedule these shows as soon as possible are being explored,” the statement issued in Japan read.
Then, it was officially announced May 21 that his scheduled show May 28 show at Jamsil Sports Complex Main Stadium in Seoul, South Korea would also be called off because of his illness. “Paul McCartney will regrettably have to postpone his forthcoming concert in Seoul, South Korea. After coming down with a virus in Japan, doctors have ordered Paul complete rest,” the official statement released by Seoul-based Hyundai Card Co. Ltd. said. “Paul is still not feeling better and this cancellation is unavoidable. All possibilities to reschedule this show are being explored.”
“I was really looking forward to visiting and playing in South Korea for the first time and I’m sorry to be letting fans down,” McCartney said. “I’m very disappointed by this and hope to be able to visit soon.”
The Seoul concert was the last show before his Out There! tour moved to the United States for shows beginning June 14 in Lubbock, Texas and ending Aug. 14 at Candlestick Park in San Francisco. Tickets for American shows, which are still scheduled, are available here.