Fab Social Links

Paul McCartney will headline the final concert at Candlestick Park in August, the former Beatle and San Francisco officials said Thursday, ending a back-and-forth drama that had the city competing against the 49ers for the right to play host to the music legend.

“Putting the rumor mill to rest, Paul has confirmed that he will indeed return to San Francisco Aug. 14 to play Farewell to Candlestick: The Final Concert,” a statement on McCartney’s website said. City officials later confirmed the news.

“We just kept pushing and were persistent and drove the deal down the field,” said Phil Ginsberg, director of the city Recreation and Park Department, which operates Candlestick.

Tickets will go on sale May 5. It was not immediately known how much they will cost.

Mayor Ed Lee personally invited McCartney to close the Stick when the former Beatle played at the Outside Lands festival in Golden Gate Park last year.

The idea was to say goodbye to the ballpark where the Beatles played their final paid concert in 1966.

McCartney’s representatives and the city had been talking since Lee made the offer, and City Hall was convinced that the show was all but a done deal.

It all changed, however, when McCartney’s envoys, including his worldwide concert promoter, Barrie Marshall, toured Candlestick last month and let slip that they had just visited the 49ers’ new Levi’s Stadium as part of negotiations with the Niners for an opening concert there in early August.

It was a blindside hit that had city officials feeling betrayed.

Team executives insisted to San Francisco officials that they had been approached about hosting a McCartney show by Live Nation, the national promoter that has a financial stake in Sir Paul’s management company.

With the 49ers decamping for the South Bay, Candlestick is being torn down to make room for a development that will include residences, retail stores and offices. On Wednesday, the city said 49ers legend Joe Montana would re-create his Super Bowl XIX showdown with fellow Hall of Fame quarterback Dan Marino in a flag-football game at the Stick on July 12.

San Francisco Chronicle columnists Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross appear Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays. Matier can be seen on the KPIX TV morning and evening news. He can also be heard on KCBS radio Monday through Friday at 7:50 a.m. and 5:50 p.m. Got a tip? Call (415) 777-8815, or e-mail matierandross@sfchronicle.com.

Comments

comments

Posted by patmatthews@cox.net